Monday, February 15, 2010

Cabin Fever Has Set In!

My goodness! It's been cold, the snow has gone no where, and our poor little girl has quite the case of cabin fever! She'll be playing in the living room, and then all of the sidden, it's like a wire short-cicuits in her breain. She starts running laps, nipping and everything and everyone, including the air, before settling down, exhausted, for a nap. I usually have to put her in her pen to force her to calm down. We are big believers in Cesar Milan's Exercise-Discipline-Affection mentality, but we're worried about exercising such a young puppy on the treadmill. Will it hurt her growing joints? We'll be seeing her vet, one of our good friends Dr. Bob Howton, this week, and we'll talk to him about it then.

Ever since we got the potty patch, Rory is out in the living room most of the day. We have created step ups with pillows and cushions to allow her to go up on chairs and couches. Yes, we're one of *those* dog parents who allow dogs on furniture. She will be trained to get off when told, for when comapny comes over, but she is super cuddly and snuggly, and likes to come up and climb on our laps for a pet, a nibble (which we are desperately trying to break her of!), or a nap. Nothing sweeter than a puppy napping on your lap or chest.

Rory got her first bath today. I took it slow, introducing her to the water slowly, not using the shower head, bringing toys in. Yeah, she still didn't want any part of it. I was hoping the lab in her would take to the water, but I guess the heeler in her is stronger. I'll have to look into what I can do to make her less afraid. I ignored the shaking, didn't coddle her, just methodically got it done, dried her off, and put her in the pen for a nap.

Now it's time for me to take a shower because I smell like wet dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment